Director, Business Technology ManagementLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Director of Business Technology Management is a member of the Global Supply Chain Leadership team, with accountability for Business Process and Technology Management. This role manages the Technical Operations (TOPs) information management portfolio and related investments to ensure effective engagement with users across TOPs and to realize projected benefits. The Director of Business Technology Management will focus on the following areas:
- Portfolio Management:
- Establish and maintain an actionable and specific portfolio of process and technology gaps and opportunities that can be used to inform investment and life cycle management decisions
- Accountable for the portfolio of technology related projects – including those managed at the site or functional level, including expense and capital projects.
- Facilitate Business Technology governance, leadership meetings, weekly/monthly operations reviews, user forums as needed, and also the effective interface with other portfolio managers to ensure effective and ongoing prioritization, the timely delivery of project milestones, rigorous enforcement of stage gate criteria, and execution of actions designed to ensure user adoption and the full realization of all promised benefits are all central accountabilities of the role
- Business Process Management and Improvement:
- Support the Plan, Make, Assess, Release and Deliver business process owners and managers globally for clinical and commercial, Biologic, Small Molecule, Oligonucleotide and Gene Therapy products
- Key member of the BioMarin Continuous Improvement community and participates in network initiatives and efforts, including improving governance, and collaborating with other BioMarin operational excellence professionals
- Key contributor to BioMarin’s operational excellence culture.
- Alignment with Information Management:
- Collaborates with Information Management to manage installed technologies at the enterprise, execution and automation layers, to ensure we leverage shared platforms and address common needs in a coordinated fashion
- Effective life cycle management is crucial to securing quality product to patients and maintaining our license to operate – validated systems must be maintained at a high state of inspection readiness, and the technology deployed must continually evolve to meet current Good Manufacturing/Laboratory/Distribution Practices
- Co-chairs the ERP Process Council with Information Management and the TOPs Business Process Owners
- Driving Organization Change:
- Engage with Process Owners, Managers, Super Users and the user community generally – through user forums, councils, voice of the customer assessments and investigations – to continue to grow and scale BioMarin
- Ongoing and effective benchmarking with peer BioPharma companies and business technology professionals from other industries, and thought leaders will be an important success factor in this role
- Governance / Portfolio Management: Design, deploy and facilitate leadership meetings – including semi-annual strategy sessions that incorporate key partners Establish links to other governance.
- Business Analysis and Project Execution: Adopt and apply recognized best practices for developing credible project proposals and use cases based on quantitative and verifiable problem statements, and cost-benefit analyses that are ratified by finance. Work with users and business process managers to define and document user requirements that can be translated into specifications User Acceptance Test scripts, and validation protocols (where applicable). Collaborate with project teams to ensure full user adoption, the training and deployment of super users and the provision of necessary and appropriate hyper-care resources and support.
- Project Controls: Work with finance and legal to track spending and contracts related to Business Technology Management. Use insights and analysis to prioritize opportunities to gain global leverage, avoid unnecessary costs and realize savings.
- Build and improve interfaces with strategic partners – Facilities, Process and Capital Engineering; Information Management; the Business Process Owners for Plan, Make, Assess, Release and Deliver. The Process Owners for Concept-to-Molecule, Maintain to Improve, Procure-to-Pay, and Order-to-Cash are also key strategic partners.
- Technology Management: Work with Business Process Owners, Business Process Managers, Super Users, Data Stewards, and Functional Leaders to establish and maintain a specific and actionable understanding of life cycle stage, system vulnerabilities, required upgrades and patches, opportunities for advantageous integration and also for architectural modifications that could potentially improve performance, security, usability or inspection readiness. Will be a member of the IM Cyber Security committee and a key contributor to BioMarin's risk management of informational and operational technology network security. This role will be responsible for change management around technology projects.
- Strategic planning: Participate in strategic planning and analysis related to pipeline products, future Technical Operations network configuration, system architecture, security and functionality.
- Create and maintain a diverse and inclusive workplace that is safe and healthful for all employees. Build focus and engagement by fostering opportunities for ownership, impact and continual professional development.
- Bachelors in Business, Operations Management, or Industrial Engineering required
- Masters in Business Administration desirable but not required
- Six Sigma Black Belt, Lean Sensei, APICS certification and/or supply chain education preferred
- Other continuing education initiatives or relevant industry or information management (Oracle) certifications
- Minimum 15 years of information technology, process engineering, operational excellence, supply chain, finance, portfolio management or other relevant experience.
- At least 10 years GMP/GCP compliant Biopharma operations experience required
- Experience with kaizen / work out events, human error prevention / human factors engineering, SCRUM development methodology, project management, knowledge management / design history file, ERP (Oracle) systems, and new product launches desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with other functional groups to achieve business objectives required
- Mandatory: Experience successfully leading transformational change, change agent and sponsor training skills
- Superior communication skills – Oral, written and formal presentation skills with diverse audiences including senior management, middle management and line staff
- Creative problem solving skills
- Comfortable and effective working indirectly through others
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.