Market Access DirectorLocation London, United Kingdom Apply
Posting date: 07 September 2020
Closing date: 05 October 2020
Hours: Full time
Location: London, UK
Company: BioMarin UK Ltd
Job Type: PermanentBioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Market Access Director role will be focused on developing the strategy and managing the access for BioMarin products in the EUMEA region (EU, Middle East, Africa and Asia Minor). As such this role, requires someone with an understanding of rare diseases detailed understanding and experience of working with lysomosal storage disorders such as MPS diseases and CLN2, experience in phenylketonylurea (PKU) as well as a good understanding of achondroplasia and haemophilia. This role will interact with clinicians and other stakeholders who set the access environment and policies that are relevant to improving access for rare disease patient populations. Specifically, this role will be expected to lead the aligned EUMEA access strategy (regional and in-country) aimed at aligning internal and external stakeholders, drive reimbursement processes and help navigate the potential access hurdles to BioMarin products. It will also act as key member of the team for the local implementation of these strategies in the various EUMEA countries
- Maintain and manage the patient access strategy for BioMarin EUMEA products across the region by supervising the local country and zone access teams (key focus on current portfolio of MPS, CLN2 ERTs, PKU portfolio (Kuvan and Palynziq) and prepare for future programs in achondroplasia and heamophilia)
- Communicate the clinical value of BioMarin products and programs across the diseases, having a strong clinical understanding
- Develop and manage strategies to align external stakeholders (payers, physicians, patient groups, politicians) towards creating a supportive access environment for all BioMarin marketed products
- Lead the development of market access strategies and their implementation for all marketed products in EUMEA
- Planning, organising and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific reimbursement goals (e.g. submissions, negotiations etc) and objectives to support timely access
- Align the input into value propositions for marketed products, highlighting opportunities for local evidence generation and projects
- Lead support for addressing objections from payer bodies and responding with compelling value arguments aligned with internal processes
- Support maintenance of current information on policy changes in the region which could impact BioMarin products
- Liaise with local Area Directors and country managers to support timely delivery of strategic goals and projects e.g. ad boards, market access materials, evidence projects (aligned with health economics and medical affairs)
- Maintain compliance with the BioMarin procedures
The scope of the role will be to support the EUMEA regional team.
- A strong scientific / healthcare background preferably someone with a medical or pharmacy/PhD background
- Minimally a person with a degree in medicine or similar discipline (e.g. pharmacy/scientific PhD).
- Some training and experience in health economics would be desirable
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Substantial and relevant reimbursement experience obtained within a pharmaceutical company or biotech would be essential
- Rare disease experience is essential in working across access stakeholders, working with clinicians, patient advocacy groups, payers/HTA groups and politicians
- Strong knowledge of lysosomal diseases (in particular MPS/CLN2 is desirable), strong experience in PKU are essential and understanding in achondroplasia and haemophilia and therapy areas are desirable.
- Sound knowledge and experience of payer and HTA environment across multiple countries is essential.
- Experience in a regional role working with HTA driven markets as well as budget impact focused markets is essential.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Working knowledge of the pharmaceutical code is preferable
- Excellent ability to convey clinical/medical knowledge to stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong strategic planning and organizational ability
- Applying specialized knowledge of complex access environments to countries in EUMEA
- Results oriented
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a team
- Dotted line supervision of the country/zone market access leads (5 to date)
- Line management responsibilities for 1FTE
Liaising with internal commercial, medical and regulatory departments.
Externally with EU industry associations, key decision makers, key clinical experts and associations and patient organisations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.