Haemophilia Medical Science LiaisonLocation Germany Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Haemophilia Medical Science Liaison is a regional, territory focused position supporting the scientific and business interests of BioMarin, by cultivating current and future thought leaders in academic and clinical medicine at the local, regional and national level through in-depth, fair-balanced scientific discussions and interactions. The MSL will support clinical trials through company-sponsored research, the championing of Investigator Research proposals (IRs) and support of BioMarin registries and other clinical programmes. These thought leader interactions will complement or supplement the overall product strategy development plan. The MSL must possess knowledge of BioMarin’s approved products, agents in the pipeline, and assigned disease state areas.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Territory Strategy and Planning
• Support the development of and execute scientific plans within their territory, to meet company-defined goals within corporate and regulatory guidelines for Haemophilia, pre-, peri - and post approval, and track on a monthly / quarterly / yearly basis.
• Thorough knowledge of hospitals, KOLs, competitor activities, studies, trends, influencers, formularies, buyers, and reimbursement providers across territory.
• Maintain clinical and technical expertise in Haemophilia; review scientific journals, attend scientific and key technical meetings in territory and share learnings with key stakeholders
• Demonstrate thorough understanding of both clinical and commercial strategies and priorities
• Act as primary source of scientific therapy area and product knowledge in territory for External and Internal stakeholders
• Work with the regional and national collaborative groups, guidelines committees as needed to ensure accurate and timely responses to requests of product and disease state information.
KOL management, scientific knowledge and territory development
• Identify, build and develop strong relationships with KOLs, key investigators and key treatment centres to facilitate mutually beneficial research on BioMarin products
• Deliver high quality scientific presentations on Therapy Area / BioMarin products to physicians and other key external customers
• Provide medical support during scientific congresses and symposia, such as presence at GMAF booths and attendance of company sponsored events
• Identify, recommend and train potential speakers for BioMarin’s Symposia, presentations and Advisory Boards
• Assist in the management of territory KOLs / Investigators (IRs) involved in publications in collaboration with GMAF stakeholders, as needed
• Identify and communicate key clinical and research insights and competitive trends from region to appropriate departments, to help shape company research, development, and strategies for investigational and commercialised products
• Respond to unsolicited requests regarding interest in investigator sponsored studies (ISS), and support ISS submissions or other research/educational support requests through appropriate internal processes.
Post Marketing – Registries, IR, observational
• Visit potential research sites to determine the site’s ability to conduct and accrue to clinical research studies and registries (i.e. patient volume, research experience, methodologies, competing studies, etc.)
• Implementation and coordination of independent research (IR) activities intended to support the clinical and scientific strategy for Haemophilia
• Liaise with the Study Management and/or Clinical function by forwarding potential investigators for other BioMarin products in development
• Support BioMarin sponsored clinical studies (SIV, Phase III trials) and registry (marketed) studies at sites in the territory by providing training, responding to inquiries, sharing feedback and new information, as appropriate
• Provide scientific knowledge training support for territory commercial colleagues, as needed
• Assure compliance with BioMarin operational guidelines
• Contribute to functional improvement initiatives for the Medical Sciences function
The MSL has advanced communication skills and foundational competence leadership, strategic thinking and planning and problem solving and decision making. For example:
· Develops and delivers well organised and effective presentations
· Adapts communication style, message and delivery method and medium to audience; knows when to ask for guidance on complex or difficult messages
· Takes ownership of, and accountability for, completing assigned tasks
· Demonstrates determination in identifying and persevering through obstacles
· Demonstrates ability to recognise, understand, articulate and respond promptly to issues, risks and opportunities that arise
· Appropriately escalates potential issues, clearly communicating whether the escalation is informational or requires action
The MSL also demonstrates foundational competence in external stakeholder engagement and medical and scientific knowledge. For example:
· Familiar with HCP key influencers in the region or geography
· Understands HCP areas of focus and importance of relationships to BioMarin strategy
BioMarin offers comprehensive career development programming, including guidance, targeted training opportunities, and mentorship programming. A career development pathway for GMAF has been defined and is available to employees of BioMarin.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· BA/BS in life or health sciences; Advanced degree (MS, doctoral level) preferred
· 4 or more years of relevant experience as an MSL preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS / TRAVEL
The employee may frequently be required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The employee will be required to travel 60-75% of the time and may include weekends