Senior Manager, Internal AuditLocation Dublin, Ireland Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BIOMARIN INTERNAL AUDIT
BioMarin Internal Audit is committed to helping BioMarin achieve its full potential in transforming patient’s lives by minimizing overall company risk.
We pride ourselves in being objective and independent of the areas we assess, while maintaining our commitment to advance the organization. We provide independent assurance to the board of directors and management. Our disciplined approach evaluates the effectiveness of BioMarin’s risk management, control and governance processes. We also assist with proactive advisory projects.
An open and transparent partnership helps us develop the appropriate context and understanding of the issues at hand, minimize surprises, and drive greater value in the outcomes.
In carrying out our mission, we pledge to:
• Be a trusted partner
• Lead with integrity & enthusiasm
• Focus on what matters
• Share industry practices
As part of our mission, we also aim to provide valuable business insights (covering governance, risk, and control, and beyond), and we are building a data analytics platform to capture the Company’s data lake, and pro-actively identify adverse business trends and patterns.
The Senior Manager will be instrumental in building a world-class internal audit function, a function that provides both assurance regarding BioMarin’s governance, risk and control (‘GRC’) effectiveness, as well as a function that generates key and actionable business GRC insights. This is the first Internal Audit role based in Ireland.
This role supports the Executive Director of Internal Audit and is responsible for overseeing and/ or performing audits to evaluate the design and effectiveness of internal controls to identify instances of fraud, waste, and abuse. In carrying out this role, the Senior Manager must demonstrate good business acumen and robust experience with assessing risk and conducting internal audits. The Senior Manager serves as a trusted partner to the business, continually staying abreast of enterprise-wide initiatives and functional strategies, to ultimately ensure that the Internal Audit portfolio of audits are aligned with key business risks.
Additionally, this role is laser-focused on early detection of instances of fraud, waste and abuse. This specific role leverages the Internal Audit Data Analytics program results, and independently, conducts targeted reviews to help drive compliant and ethical behavior within the Company.
This role will work closely with the Regional Compliance and Finance teams.
The position of Senior Manager reports to the Executive Director of Internal Audit. The major responsibility of this position is planning of audit engagements, oversight of engagement execution, reporting audit results, as well as maintaining and further strengthening relationships with the business stakeholders.
I. Annual and on-going audit planning
· Meet with various stakeholders and levels to understand risks and business priorities
· Conduct risk assessments (financial, operational, strategic), and develop a risk-based audit plan
· Present to - and engage with - executive level personnel on audit planning and priorities
II. Planning the audit
· Oversee preliminary process risk assessment, and develop the scope and objectives of the audit
· Meet with executive level personnel to understand risks and priorities of the audit
· Coordinate with external subject matter experts, as appropriate
III. Conducting the audit
· Ensure the audit is executed on time and on budget, including work performed by third party subject matter resources
· Perform quality self-review or review of staff work for accuracy, clarity, completeness, and adherence to program and audit techniques employed
· Oversee / conduct data analytics to support conclusion
· Escalate any critical audit issues to the Executive Director and appropriate management
IV. Reporting results
· Communicate issues and root causes to executive management and gain consensus on the path forward
· Collaborate with management to develop risk-based response and action plan; this will often include facilitating a strategic assessment of options and costs-benefits
· Be able to fully evaluate risks and exposures and risk-rank issues accordingly
· Develop CEO/Audit Committee level deliverable; including sophisticated analysis of risk & exposure
· Participate in or lead enterprise risk assessment activities, and oversee and conduct other audit engagements, including advisory engagements
· Participate in and support special reviews or investigations at the request of Global Compliance & Ethics personnel, senior management, or the Audit Committee
· Maintain existing certifications and seek further certification where appropriate
· Bachelor’s degree required
· Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Public Accountant, or Certified Fraud Examiner designation a plus
· Advanced degree or Six Sigma designation a plus
· If the candidate does not have any of the above degrees, candidate must be willing to become a Certified Fraud Examiner
· 8+ years in public accounting, internal audit, advisory or global corporation, or a combination hereof.
· Biotech/Pharmaceutical/Life Science experience preferred.
· Ability to work with ambiguity, and respond to a rapidly changing, highly innovative environment
· Demonstrated risk assessment and management skills
· Candidate must be skilled and comfortable with presentations to senior management; professional savvy and ability to interact with various levels of management
· Proactively seeks knowledge, new task, and responsibilities. Highly self-motivated and able to work independently
· Ability to work with a variety of personalities and working styles
· Knowledgeable in ERP systems, such as Oracle and SAP, data marts, data analytics and visualization solutions
· Ability to organize projects and work responsibilities, prioritize, and meet deadlines
· Ability to travel up to 25%; both domestically and internationally
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.