Senior Manager- EMEA Technical Accounting, Risk and ComplianceLocation Dublin, Ireland Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Senior Manager – EMEA Technical Accounting, Risk and Compliance
We are a high-performing, team based organization, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions. A high level of initiative, energy and motivation are key role requirements, as well as organizational skills.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the SOX Audit and Financial Risk profile for the EMEA region, as well as taking a lead role in ensuring financial compliance across the region. The successful candidate will also provide input on technical and complex accounting scenarios, including interpreting accounting standards (US GAAP and IFRS) and local statutory regulations, as well as the composition of White Papers articulating Biomarin’s position. The successful candidate will be expected to work closely with cross-functional teams in Biomarin, including Operations Accounting, Tax, Cost Accounting and the US Corporate Accounting team. Adherence to deadlines and a high level of technical accounting knowledge will be a key part of this role. This role will be key in driving a controls-based culture in Biomarin EMEA and in ensuring the Biomarin EMEA fulfils all its legal and statutory requirements in a compliant and efficient manner.
- Support business combinations and restructuring and ensure compliance with accounting requirements (including dividends, loan restructuring, impairment reviews, etc).
- Support new entity set ups, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures from a statutory and local compliance perspective. Support other projects as required.
- Composition and review of White Papers on technical accounting issues, articulating Biomarin’s perspective.
- Understanding and interpreting new accounting standards and regulations as they apply to Biomarin
- Demonstrate strong aptitude for technical accounting application e.g. stock compensation planning, company valuations, US GAAP to IFRS differences, etc.
- Provide regular technical updates to the Finance team. Monitor statutory, legal and technical updates to assess their impact on Biomarin
- Initiate and apply a controls based culture on financial oversight
- Identify and implement process improvements, in particular providing recommendations to finance teams on control improvements
- Develop and take ownership of risk/controls based tools, including Risk Register, Risk Control Matrices, Compliance Dashboard, etc.
- Liaise with US Corporate Accounting Team and the US Compliance team on best practices and standardisation
- Liaise with local Operational Business Leaders, understanding changes in local legislation and/or business practices and their impact on our financial statements. Understanding main process flows for each area.
- Attendance at EMEA Finance meetings, such as the Opex review and monthly Entity reviews, from a risk/compliance perspective.
- Operating as main point of contact for SOX auditors and managing this audit relationship, including the administration of the Workiva tool for communicating with the auditors (Access, training, etc.). Main escalation point for issues
- Monthly approval of Robotic Process Automations (RPA’s) for SOX purposes
- Establishing and measuring against metrics and KPI’s
- Initiate and manage the EMEA Compliance Dashboard and Knowledge Bank, by monitoring and tracking compliance issues that may impact Biomarin.
- Organising and coordinating customised Financial Accounting technical training for the EMEA Finance team.
- Business partnering with legal and international tax. High level awareness of transfer pricing and global tax rules
- Ability to influences and work through other teams to achieve goals
- Supporting and driving change within the EMEA Finance team and the broader Biomarin organisation.
- Qualified ACA/ACCA/CIMA accountant
- Qualified Accountant with a minimum of 7 years relevant post qualification experience;
- Strong technical accounting background and ability to apply accounting concepts in practice.
- Corporate accounting experience and multi-national experience in a complex environment with conflicting priorities
- Experience in managing and influencing a diverse group of people across multiple teams
- Ability to communicate succinctly in an engaging and professional manner
- Experience in US GAAP and IFRS Financial Statements. Knowledge of specific EUMEA Local GAAP requirements is an advantage.
- Ability to present concepts and ideas to senior leaders
Heavy interaction with Finance Department management and staff, US Corporate accounting, Legal and Global Tax.
Note: This description is not intended to be all-inclusive or a limitation of the duties of the position. It is intended to describe the general nature of the job that may include other duties as assumed or assigned.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.