Senior Legal Counsel (TEMPORARY)Location Dublin, Ireland
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’
We are seeking a motivated and adaptable senior lawyer who will be based at the BioMarin EUMEA headquarters in Dublin city centre to cover up to 11 months of maternity leave. The successful candidate must have a commercial outlook, flexible attitude and enjoy working in a fast-paced international environment. We are a high-performing, team-based organization, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions. A high level of initiative, energy and motivation are key role requirements, as well as organizational skills.
The primary focus of the position will be on serving the legal and contractual needs of the diverse EUMEA business, supporting the EUMEA BioMarin operations across over 60 countries in the region. The role requires a talented lawyer with superior skills and substantial experience in making sound business judgments, advising on a broad range of legal issues across multiple business functions, as well as drafting and negotiating commercial and operational contracts – particularly in the pharmaceutical and/or biotech industry. You will be expected to be capable of covering operational, technical and commercial issues with equal ease.
- Support all technical, corporate and commercial operations in the EUMEA region including legal drafting, negotiation and provision of legal advice across all functions
- Work closely with commercial teams to assist in developing product, pricing and distribution strategies for new and existing products
- Provide legal induction and training for staff
- Stay up-to-date and maintain broad knowledge and awareness of legal and regulatory issues affecting the pharmaceutical sector in order to provide guidance and direction to leadership and employees
- Support EUMEA Legal department
Related skills and requirements
- Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively at all levels throughout the organization and externally
- Be comfortable providing fast ad hoc advice on a variety of day-to-day and strategic legal issues
- Interpretation and application of a broad variety of laws, regulations and policies to complex business situations to inform business activities and the ability to interpret and advise on new legislation and jurisdictional frameworks rapidly
- Analyse legal and business risk and propose creative, business oriented solutions, communicating clearly and succinctly
- Influence clients by identifying and communicating the risks associated with complex business activities and provides a value-added corporate law insight to evaluate and determine risks effectively
- Partnering with clients by considering immediate business/legal issues in a broader business context and identifying and influencing business purposes and objectives
- Enjoy working as a team member as well as independently.
- Driven, self-motivated and demonstrated ability to work using own initiative.
- Managing outside legal counsel where directed and assisting the Vice President, Legal and Compliance in ensuring external legal spend is controlled
- Strong knowledge of the regulatory environment in which BioMarin operates
- Keep current with evolving relevant legal and business issues, promotes corporate policies and proactively monitors BioMarin’s business environment
- Ability and willingness to travel around the EUMEA region.
- Ideally a minimum of 5 years PQE as a common-law qualified lawyer (but all applications will be considered on merit irrespective of PQE).
- Experience with a large law firm (life sciences/commercial/corporate departments), or in-house within the pharmaceutical/biotech industry will be considered.
- Must have enthusiasm to forge strong relationships andfor becoming a business partner with a strong commitment to customer service and legal compliance
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage the diverse requirements ofin-house legal department clients
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the legal and regulatory framework affecting the pharmaceutical/ biotechnology industry in Ireland and across EUMEA
- Must have a “can-do” attitude
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills
- Strong negotiation and legal drafting skills
- Strong research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work on cross-border projects
- Strong task-focused work ethic with a demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and commitments
- Demonstrated effectiveness operating in complex organizational and regulatory environments
- Demonstrated flexible approach to adapt to changes in business needs due to fast paced growth of BioMarin operations.
- Proven self-motivation, a self-starter with the ability to appropriately prioritize issues, allocate resources and multi-task
- Travel to BioMarin’s manufacturing facility in Cork and international travel will be required (the level of travel is variable but likely to be around 20% which will be a mix of travel within Ireland and within the EUMEA region as well as occasional trips to headquarters in California as necessary.
Corporate Counsel, EUMEA
Vice President, Legal and Compliance, EUMEA
Manager, Contract Administration and Legal Systems, EUMEA
Note: This description is not intended to be all-inclusive or a limitation of the duties of the position. It is intended to describe the general nature of the job that may include other duties as assumed or assigned.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.