AD / Director Business OperationsLocation Dublin, Ireland Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
THIS ROLE CAN BE BASED IN OUR COKR OR DUBLIN OFFICE!
Reporting to the Senior Director CMO and based in Dublin or Cork, the position is dedicated to operational excellence and business process reengineering (analysis, mapping and optimization) to enable the routine delivery of exceptional business process performance. This position is within the BioMarin Contract Manufacturing organization (CMO) in Technical Operations (TOPS) and will support operational improvement initiatives which extend across the EU CMO organization. In Europe, the CMO organization has responsibility for manufacturing of synthetic and biologic drug substances, tablets, sachets, sterile filled vials/syringes and labeling/packaging of BioMarin clinical and commercial products.
- The role will:
- Work with the EU CMO organization to develop a rolling 5 year strategy which focuses on continuing to deliver the business and drive business process improvement
- Leverage the TOPS End to End Business Process Framework to define, optimize and maintain business processes.
- Lead complex cross-functional business process improvement initiatives in CMO using tools such as Lean Six Sigma and Business Process Reengineering to:
- Identify gaps and inefficiencies to current state business processes.
- Identify and prioritize opportunities for improvement and the desired future state.
- Lead and work with project teams to implement improvements.
- Lead the EU CMO Operations review process and be responsible for identifying and collecting metrics to measure the performance of business processes against targets
- Maintain alignment in methodology, procedure and governance between internal Drug Substance sites in Novato and Ireland as well as US Contract Manufacturing operations.
- Report into the Senior Director, CMO in Dublin, Ireland and is accountable to the VP CMO.
- Initially be an individual contributor role with future scope to add direct reports.
- Establish strong working relationships with EU and US Contract Manufacturing team to drive business process improvements.
- Create strong linkage with Business Operations resources from both Shanbally and Novato internal manufacturing sites to align on End to End Business Processes
- Lead the development of a rolling 5 year strategy for EU CMO which focuses on business process improvement to ensure ongoing delivery of CMO business goals
- Collaborate with business to prioritize improvement ideas to be executed as projects.
- Lead project teams and collaborate with the business in process improvement efforts.
- Promote and be the champion for a consistent approach to Business Process Improvement across CMO and Ireland/US internal Operations in TOPS.
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy and professionalism and prioritize workload in accordance with business goals.
- Recognize barriers to improvement efforts and work to remove them.
- Facilitate training of EU CMO resources in business process improvement methodologies and the design and roll out of CMO related training programs to other relevant functions
- Assist in the development of effective leadership team meetings and decision making frameworks.
- Science, Engineering, Business BS/BA required or 15-20 years of business/operations experience.
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt or Master Black Belt Certification preferred.
- Business Process Management (End to End Process) Hammer Certification preferable.
- APICS certification preferable.
- Minimum 10 years of bio-tech/pharmaceutical operations experience required with a proven track record of successfully leading, facilitating and managing large, cross-functional, business process improvement (Operational Excellence) initiatives.
- Minimum of 5 years of project management/management experience required, managing a range of small and large projects and teams.
- Sound knowledge of cGMPs and related industry regulations.
- Knowledge and previous work experience with process mapping, Lean Six Sigma and Business Process Reengineering.
- Working knowledge of electronic GMP systems (Trackwise, LIMS, CMMS, Oracle EBS, SAP, etc.) preferred.
- Working knowledge of business process management Software (Pega7, Blue Works, Oracle BPM, etc.) preferred.
- Familiarity with Visio or other process mapping tools.
- Knowledge of performance measurement tools and metrics
- Good facilitation, change management, interpersonal and problem solving skills required.
Leadership Behaviors and Personal Competencies:
- Builds partnerships and works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Develops and delivers communications which convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences;
- Skilled influencer; able to distill complex concepts into concise, salient points.
- Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments by following through, acting with a clear sense of ownership, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions and failures.
- Develops people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals through coaching, feedback, exposure and stretch assignments;
- Effectively develop successful leaders and high performing teams.
Drives Vision and Purpose
- Paints a compelling picture of the vision and strategy which motivates others to action.
- Understands interdependencies, trends, issues and opportunities; able to synthesize complex information and translate into mid to long-range goals and plans.
- Credible, trustworthy and empathetic leader; calm under pressure; can do attitude; relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people.
Agility and Flexibility
- Handles multiple projects and priorities simultaneously; operates effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is unclear.
- Able to work in a variety of roles and settings, with a diverse group of people and/or functions.
- Able to prioritize and focus on the few critical objectives;
- Design simple, flexible organizational structures and systems that can align and adapt with evolving strategy.
- Effectively adjusts to new, changing and unpredictable situations; able to learn new things quickly and easily; solicits and responds to feedback and coaching
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.