Senior Automation EngineerLocation Cork, Ireland
In Ireland, BioMarin operates a Biopharma Manufacturing Site in Shanbally, Co. Cork, and a Global Commercial Operations Hub in Dublin. Having just obtained approval to establish Sterile Drug Product Filling operations at the Shanbally site, we at BioMarin are now looking to commence hiring for key technical and leadership positions. Initially these roles will support the capital project execution, product transfers and operational readiness activities before moving into routine operational support. This facility will contain a state of the art flexible line using isolator technology for filling of vials and syringes and the facility will support both clinical and commercial filling for the majority of BioMarin biologics product portfolio. We at BioMarin are looking to hire a Senior Automation Engineer to act as Lead Control Engineer on the Sterile Drug Product Program with a view to successful project delivery and a clearly established support model for ongoing operations.
What makes working here unique? At BioMarin, we feel the intense tie between the work we do and the life-changing results it delivers. Our focus on rare disease gives us the rare opportunity to truly impact lives. As BioMarin employees, we’re here because we want to be here. We enjoy our work — and each other. Our people are smart. Unassuming. Collaborative. Curious. Interesting. In return, there is development, empowerment and total reward.
BioMarin has a high-performing, team based organisation, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions. A high level of initiative, energy and motivation are key role requirements, as well as excellent organisational skills.
The Automation Engineer is a member of the Automation Engineering team who are accountable for the Automation & Control engineering support for Drug Substance, Sterile Drug Product and Packaging and Labelling operations. Key aspects of this role are to provide technical engineering support to the project team ensuring successful start-up of Sterile Drug Product operations. Once start up is complete the Senior Automation Engineer will have accountability for engineering support ensuring the delivery of sterile drug product from the Shanbally facility across, component preparation, sterile filling and visual inspection operating units. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide process design support to ensure successful qualification and operation of a new Drug Product facility.
- Provide Automation engineering input to support the manufacture of sterile filled drug products, syringes and vials, on the flexible Sterile filling line at Shanbally.
- Provide technical control engineering support for process fit to plant workshops to ensure successful technology transfers of new products.
- Responsible for Automation engineering design and optimisation.
- Participate in cross-functional project teams to ensure project and site stakeholder inputs and requirements are clear and reflected in design deliverables.
- Lead and participate in cross-functional teams to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues, drive continuous improvement and process optimisation using tools such as DMAIC, SMED and FMEA.
- Required to comply with Company Global Policies, Procedures and Guidelines, regulatory requirements and execute current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) in the performance of day to day activities.
- Ensure relevant Automation systems documentation is prepared and updated in line with all Quality and regulatory guidelines and promotes full compliance to all GMP, environmental and safety requirements.
- Work collaboratively to drive safe, high quality, and cost-effective manufacturing facilities.
- Instill the use of Right First Time (six-sigma) and lean manufacturing practices leading to operational excellence.
- Ensure adherence to high standards of quality and support of a science and risk based quality culture.
- Providing coaching and support to the Operations team to build their knowledge of Automation systems Bio-process engineering.
- Providing coaching and support to the Operations team to build their knowledge of Automation systems.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications; establishing professional networks and participating in professional societies.
- Bachelor Degree Engineering, Instrument Physics, Electrical Engineering or equivalent discipline.
- Other continuing education initiatives highly desirable (e.g. Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, industry specific coursework).
- At least 7+ years Automation experience in a GMP/GCP compliant Biopharma operations is required.
- Expert knowledge of Siemens PLC, Control Networks and SCADA process control platforms.
- Experience of interfacing with and the use of OSI PI Data Historian
- In depth knowledge of OPC interfaces including Kepware
- In depth knowledge of Siemens PLC software code, fault finding and ability to propose and implement improvements.
- Detailed knowledge of all GAMP requirements, including traceability & Data Integrity requirements
- Experience in aseptic/sterile processing design, construction and start-up environment would be an advantage
- Experience of project lifecycle activities to include the qualification of equipment in conjunction with Project Engineering teams.
- Knowledge and experience of Sterile filling processes and aseptic processing is preferred.
- Experience in drug product packaging and labelling beneficial.
- Proficient in the operation of all equipment used in the respective functional area of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with other functional groups to achieve business objectives required.
- Strong knowledge of cGMPs and regulatory agency standards and requirements applicable to a pharmaceutical production facility.
- Superior communication skills – Oral, written and formal presentation skills with senior management, middle management and line staff.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
- Comfortable and effective working indirectly through others.