BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Associate Scientist, Purification performs critical laboratory duties associated with the maintenance of BioMarin’s commercial portfolio. The Associate Scientist will develop deep scientific knowledge and skills in protein purification and specifically in operating laboratory purification equipment & instruments. The Associate Scientist will be involved in a wide variety of scientific projects that involve learning from experienced Scientists and cross functional partners based in Shanbally, Cork, as well as Novato, California.
The Associate Scientist, Purification will perform the following critical tasks in support of the commercial portfolio;
• Buffer preparation.
• Small scale column packing
• Purification equipment set up & maintenance (Chromatography and TFF).
• Running laboratory experiments.
• Writing protocols, reports & technical memos.
• Performing basic data analysis and presenting data.
- Accountable for delivering assigned scientific projects/studies in line with overall MSAT business plan, with limited supervision.
- Accountable for the integrity of the data and scientific conclusions from assigned scientific projects.
- Accountable for assigned laboratory equipment use and maintenance. (i.e. equipment owner)
- Accountable for the health and safety of self and colleagues working together.
- Accountable for developing and maintaining assigned technique competency. i.e. you will become the expert.
- Accountable for developing & maintaining a high standard of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP).
- Accountable for developing and maintaining your Individual Development Plan (IDP) through training, mentoring and coaching.
- Responsible for developing cross functional project plans with other MSAT SME’s and stakeholders.
- Responsible for adhering to MSAT procedures and practices specifically in relation to laboratory operations.
- Responsible for participating in the internal network of SME’s across the scientific and technical functions namely MSAT, Process Sciences and R&D.
- Responsible for the communication and dissemination of scientific output to scientific & technical functions and MSAT stakeholders. (i.e. presentations to internal functions)
- Responsible for designing discrete studies/experiments with appropriate supervision.
- Responsible for maintaining a culture of empowerment, accountability and continuous improvement within MSAT.
- Responsible for contributing to a culture of scientific excellence across the scientific functions namely MSAT, Process Sciences & R&D.
- Responsible for contributing to strong cross functional relationships through promotion of science and the work of MSAT across stakeholder groups, specifically Technical Operations functions.
- Responsible for maintaining a culture of Operational Excellence, namely Standard work and 5S.
Minimum Bachelor's degree in a scientific disciple.
Master's degree in a Biochemistry, Biotechnology or Analytical Chemistry is desirable.
Irrespective of academic qualifications the successful candidate will demonstrate a high degree of scientific curiosity.
- 3+ years’ experience in working in a scientific laboratory environment and or in a GMP manufacturing environment.
- Experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical setting is preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.