Director, Material OperationsLocation Cork, Ireland Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Director of Material Operations - Shanbally, Cork
The Director of Material Operations is a member of the Site Leadership team with accountability for the site Supply Chain function. Key aspects of this role include, material purchasing, warehouse operations, Drug Substance shipping, bill of material and recipe management, rough cut and detailed capacity planning, plant master scheduling and finite scheduling for packaging and drug product.
Under the leadership of the Director of Material Operations, the material operations team is accountable to ensure manufacturing and packaging plans are feasible within the installed plant capacity and that potential capacity constraints are identified such that they can be resolved within Shanbally or across the network. The team is also responsible for coordinating cross-functional activity at the site with the ultimate objective of meeting supply targets allocated through the S&OP process. Coupled with this, the Material Operations function supports manufacturing and packaging operations directly through the timely supply of materials and the maintenance of accurate inventory within on site and off site storage locations.
Key interfaces include:
- Global Procurement category managers to align material requirements with sourcing strategies that optimize spend and availability;
- Global Supply Planning to ensure the capacity made available to the production plan accurately reflects actual plant capabilities across all work centers, including facilities-engineering, quality control, quality assurance, lot disposition in addition to manufacturing and packaging;
- Global logistics in support of timely deliveries, and site transfers of raw materials, intermediates and inventory
- Network strategy teams working to align future plant capabilities with emerging business needs;
- BioMarin Information Technology to continually define and update the technology roadmap in a manner that develops plant capability in alignment with network and site strategy;
- Tech transfer and product development (CMC) teams to ensure that the materials, capacity and staff needed to deliver the pipeline in accordance with defined milestones are provided when required;
- Manufacturing and packaging work centers to provide, shop floor control and detailed capacity analysis as required.
- This crucial role is also a member of the wider BioMarin Supply Chain community and participates in network initiatives and efforts, including improving governance, and delivering Supply Chain Strategic objectives.
- Maintain and develop a culture focused on safety and quality in the Material Operations team
- Drive a functional excellence agenda through the Material Operations Functional Lead team in support of overall site operational excellence roadmap
- Ensure correct resources and storage capacity is in place to support site growth over the long range plan
- Accountability for Master Scheduling: Define and update, in a regular and routine fashion, with work center owners and identified process experts, the parameters needed for detailed capacity planning—including lead times, yields, success rates, run rates and shop calendars.
- Manage escalation and decision-making around planning time fence crashes.
- Participate as an active member of the Site Leadership Team providing leadership and support to the Material Operations team and the site.
- Ensure that material delivery and release dates align with the production plan with support from Global Procurement, as required.
- Key site interface with purchased material suppliers, building relationships, measuring and improving supplier performance and material cost.
- Ensure trade and local revenue compliance in relation to material shipping to and from the site with support from Global Logistics.
- Participate in (internal or external plant governance), leading or facilitating as needed, to deliver the Site Strategic Business Plan.
- Work with master data owners to ensure that data used for production planning and scheduling are up to date.
- Lead transformation change initiatives as requested and required by Site Leadership in support of the Site Strategic Business Plan.
- Create and maintain a diverse and inclusive workplace that is aligned with the BioMarin culture.
- Build focus and engagement by fostering opportunities for ownership, impact and continual professional development.
- Degree in Business, Science / Engineering, Operations Management, or Industrial Engineering required
- APICS certification and/or supply chain education desirable
- Other continuing education initiatives highly desirable (e.g. Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, industry specific coursework)
- At least 12 years GMP/GCP compliant Biopharma operations experience required
- Experience with Master Scheduling, Inventory Analysis and Management, ERP (Oracle) systems, and new product launches required
- Demonstrated ability to partner with other functional groups to achieve business objectives required
- Experience successfully leading transformational change
- Superior communication skills – Oral, written and formal presentation skills with senior management, middle management and line staff
- Creative problem solving skills
- Comfortable and effective working indirectly through others
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.