Medical DirectorLocation Canada Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class or best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Job Description / Capsule
This position is responsible for providing medical support to the Company’s product development strategy and post marketing commitments, while supporting Medical Affairs strategy. This individual will interface with physicians / clinical investigators, regulatory agencies and internal departments. The Medical Director, (MD) must possess in depth knowledge of BioMarin’s approved products, agents in the pipeline and all associated disease areas. This position will represent the department and company at key internal and external meetings. This positions responsibility may also include providing input on marketing programs and representing BioMarin at interactions with payors and regulators, as well as scientific, clinical and business development meetings. Is working in a close collaboration with the local Country Manager and Market Access Director..
• Be a medical representative of BioMarin for both external and internal customers from the respective region.
· Guarantee high medical and scientific standards of BioMarin Products in the countries of responsibility.
• Be responsible for development and implementation of the regional MAF strategy in order to meet the local needs.
• Be responsible for the development of Medical Plan (as part of integrated brand plan) for appropriate products and/or therapeutic areas in harmony with local needs.
· Supports Market access activities – contribution to reimbursement dossier, presenting scientific data on meetings of payors and other relevant market access related institutions.
• Review of draft IR protocols, reports and manuscripts as well as management of regional IR processes.
• Support regional clinical registries and promotional activities for BioMarin products in accordance with respected regulatory requirements.
• Interact directly with investigators, KOLs and the research community to support company initiatives within the region consistently with the local plans.
• Represent BioMarin at scientific, clinical and business development meetings.
• Help identify publication opportunities from the region. Promote effective communication between internal and external groups regarding Medical Affairs initiatives.
• Serve as medical and technical resource for clinical issues raised by internal and external collaborators, investigators, consultants and contract resources.
• Present at training courses, sales conferences, regional and international meetings, etc. to develop high level of medical knowledge within the region.
• Attend local and regional congresses and scientific meetings.
· Manage and develop direct reports and team.
· Contribute to regional team development initiatives
· Establish and manage the needs for resources in the region in alignment with the company’s strategy
• Have knowledge and understanding of relevant local laws and regulations.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
• MD, preferably PhD.
• Strong industry experience, at least 5 years of it in Medical Affairs.
• Proven excellence in all aspects of Medical Affairs.
• Excellent understanding of the healthcare systems in the country.
• Experience in rare disease or therapeutic areas of relevance to BioMarin’s portfolio would be an advantage, but is by no means essential. Indeed, experience from other disease areas, particularly areas which have seen considerable disruption recently, would be very attractive.
• Willingness to travel approx. 50% of time (including international travel).
Skills & Capabilities
• Ability to work proactively and effectively, with exceptional creative problem-solving skills.
• Excellent presentation, written and oral communication skills required.
• Flexibility and pragmatism.
• Scientific curiosity and rigor.
• Personal integrity and patient-centricity.
• Strong business acumen.
• A strong relationship builder and stakeholder manager; within the country; the international region and globally across the BioMarin organisation.
• Strong influencing and negotiating skills; an ability to articulate the needs of the region to colleagues globally.
• A robust character; tenacious and focused on key objectives and priorities.
• A flexible mindset combined with a can-do attitude; someone who is excited by the breadth and scope of the role.
Expected level of competences
Communication and Collaboration
Strategic Thinking and Planning
Problem Solving and Decision Making
Internal and Cross-functional Partnerships
Adaptability and Flexibility
Knowledge, Evidence Generation
Key Relationships to reach solutions
· Cross-functional team in the countries and area
· Senior Management within Brand or Disease area
· Global and Regional Medical Affairs Function
· Regional Market Access
· Clinical Operations
· Compliance Team
· Healthcare professionals
· Payors and Regulatory bodies
· Medical Associations & Societies
· Patient Advocacy Groups
· Service Providers
· Other local and regional stakeholders
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.